College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students with a declared major are advised by Classics faculty after completing 30 semester hours (s.h.) of credit. To find your advisor, contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies for Classics. For more information or to find your advisor, visit the CLAS Advising Network.
All first-semester students and students who have not yet completed 30 s.h. are advised in the Academic Advising Center. Please contact the center to declare a major and/or receive authorization to register for classes. The center’s team of advisors specializes in transitioning students to academic and student life at Iowa, and help each student plan for a successful academic start at Iowa.
Nevertheless, the Classics faculty are very eager to help incoming and first-semester student who have an interest in declaring a Classical Languages or Ancient Civilization major. If you wish to pursue a future in ancient Mediterranean languages, history, or archaeology please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies for Classics to receive assistance when planning coursework, even in your freshman year.
Academic advising questions for Classics students who have earned 30 semester hours or more can be directed to:
Questions about our department and programs, study abroad, and honors in the major can be directed to:
Debra Trusty, Ph.D.
Department of Classics
Director of Undergraduate Studies
210F Jefferson Building
Our departmental advisor can help you with the following:
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Questions about course registration
- Questions or problems with your degree audit
- Academic planning and progress toward graduation
- Academic probation
- Review of study abroad courses for major credit
- Opportunities for Honors students and information about departmental honors
- Choosing a second area of study and other discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Information regarding campus resources for students
- Other questions or concerns you may have